MONSHA’AT: SAUDI WOMEN ENTREPRENEURS TAKE PART IN THE ANNUAL RISE UP SUMMIT IN CAIRO
The Women in Business Network platform launched by the Small and Medium Enterprises General Authority (Monsha’at) hosted a number of women entrepreneurs in innovative fields to attend and participate in the annual RISE UP Cairo Summit 2018 that took place in downtown Cairo during the month of December.
With an interactive theme that focuses on entrepreneurs to “Aim High, Stay Grounded” the RISE UP summit was an ideal platform to bring together women entrepreneurs in various fields such as technology, development and services that further builds on Monshaat’s vision as a key driver in Saudi Arabia’s economic development and enabler in achieving Vision 2030 the provision in hosting entrepreneurs in such events; exploring new areas of innovation and graduate new champions, at the same time enabling the entrepreneurs by building strengthened supply chain and increased competitiveness.
The trip culminated in a meeting with His Excellency Mr. Osama Nugali Saudi Ambassador in Egypt with a discussion on business development the regional potential and lucrative market opportunities spanning the region and the entrepreneurial alignment within Vision 2030.
The Saudi women entrepreneurs that took part in the summit included:
• AlHanouf AlDosary, Founder & Owner Velvet Night Establishment, VP of the Hail Chamber Entrepreneurship Committee, Board member of the Hail Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the Women’s Entrepreneurship Day Ambassador – Saudi Arabia (Hail region) for 2019.
• Elham AlGhafary Master’s degree holder in Accounting with more than 15 years in the field of finance and accounting. Today Elham has launched her entrepreneurial venture in revamping the networking potential.
• Ghadeer AlKhathlan first venture into entrepreneurship was when she won the second place in JEDDAH ENTREPRENEURS MEET 2016. she wanted to find ways to provide value to people in ways that she could utilize her strengths. She’s an instructor associate at General Assembly in partnership with Misk Academy to build Saudi Arabia's workforce of the future through robust training in coding, data, design, digital marketing and product management
• Rahma AlGhanem a serial entrepreneur, dentist and volunteer keen on developing her industry for the growth and benefit of the community
• Reem Turky is a Senior Specialist, Emerging Technologies, Strategy & Performance Management at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), where she leads initiatives for researching, planning and implementing emerging technologies, IT strategy, performance and quality management frameworks. In 2016 she founded and launched “Tawaasuly,” mobile app which facilitates dual-communications between Arabs who are deaf or hearing impaired.
• Sarah AlTowairgi is a senior Finance Student at King Abdulaziz University. In 2017 she worked with The Social Group and launched 3 companies; The Social Kitchen, The Social Space and The Social Collective. In August 2017, she became a co-founder/Partner at The Social Collective website. In October 2018 She established a fashion rental company “Lend The Trend”.
Representing various industries, the participating entrepreneurs arrived from across the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to attend the sessions that included the MELA Leadership showcase hosted in partnership with Monsha’at; with key speakers including: HE. Mr. Atef Helmi former Minister of Communications and IT in Egypt, Mr. Ahmed ElAlfi Founder and Chairman Sawary Ventures, Abdulhameed Sharara Founder and CEO of RISE UP Summit Cairo amongst others.
During the summit Reem Turky and Sarah AlTowairgi took part in the Entrepreneurs Pitch Competition featuring their entrepreneurial ventures and a chance to meet with and interact with other like-minded ventures. Taking part in a number of meetings including NGO’s, social entrepreneurship ventures potential partnerships and collaborations were also discussed. A session titled Failures in Every Success featuring Sarah Al Ayed and Dan Ciprari showcasing the learning throughout the journey of entrepreneurship spanning experience from Saudi Arabia and the United States.
With key objectives that aim to support women’s entrepreneurship development and sustainability through its portal Women in Business Network, Monsha’at plays a vital role in empowering private sector entities throughout Saudi Arabia to increase women’s participation in the business realm. Convener, funder and evaluator for programs that catalyze private sector delivery of activities that create a welcoming and inclusive environment for women to explore entrepreneurship, connecting them to: business opportunities, funding, mentorship, business networks, events, training, markets and technology.
Launched by the Small & Medium Enterprises General Authority; the Women in Business Network aims to empower women in the business sphere and raise the participation of women businesses in the GDP. The number of SME’s owned by women in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is 12% of the total number of SME’s; such initiative allows for the participation in specific programs that contribute to the potential development of women in business via engagement with experts and leaders in the business field, opportunity for idea exchange, sustainability, business development and growth forming a solid infrastructure that achieves and supports economic prosperity.